Dept/Program: Research & Academics and Bayview Program
Rate of Pay: $52.33 to $66.40 per hour
Employment Type: Full Time
Employee Group: OPSEU
Work Schedule: 37.50 hours weekly as per schedule
Posting Date: March 29, 2017
Waypoint Centre for Mental Health Care is currently seeking a full-time Psychologist. Waypoint is a tertiary mental health hospital which provides specialized and comprehensive assessment and treatment to individuals suffering from severe mental illness. The Waypoint Research Institute’s mandate is to support the clinical work of the hospital through the conduct of high quality research leading to evidence-based practices. The scientist-practitioner model is a key part of the Research & Academics Division’s philosophy, as many of our Researchers have or currently provide clinical services. The four key themes of the Waypoint Research Institute include: risk factors and assessment; treatment and transitions; knowledge translation; and policy.
Please note: This position will also support the clinical program Bayview Program for Dual Diagnosis 50% of the time.
• Perform clinical duties including: directing, planning, and conducting and/or supervising clinical assessment and treatment of patients; keeping clinical records according to hospital policy and standards of professional practice.
• Design, deliver, supervise and evaluate assessments, treatments, evidence-based therapies and rehabilitative interventions
• Facilitate patient psychosocial rehabilitation and return to community placement
• Providing consultation and advice to members of inter-professional teams
• Conduct high-quality research to advance our understanding of mental illness, its causes, its prevention, and effective treatment; keeping research data according to hospital policy and standards of professional practice
• Promote the application of scientific research in the assessment and treatment of mental disorders, including: planning, conducting and reporting on program evaluation projects and empirical surveys which contribute to new methods or enhancements in psychological knowledge and programs.
• Manage grant-funded research budgets; supervise research assistants and other research support staff.
• Write scientific articles for publication, present at academic conferences, teach formal courses on clinical research methods and application of scientific research.
• Write applications to the hospital’s Administration and Research Ethics Board seeking approval for proposed research project(s).
• Write applications to research grant funding agencies for support of high quality research projects.
• Doctoral training in psychology
• Registration in good standing (or eligibility for registration) as a Psychologist with the College of Psychologists of Ontario, with a preference for additional certification and/or experience with CBT/DBT therapies and a declared area of competency in Clinical Psychology or Clinical Neuropsychology with adults
• Preference for experience working with the dual diagnosed/autism spectrum disorder patient population • Experience with scientific methods pertaining to research on mental disorders and scientific literature pertaining to the etiology, assessment, measurement and treatment of mental disorders.
• Familiarity with experimental or quasi-experimental design, applied research design, univariate / multivariate statistical methods and a range of psychotherapeutic and assessment techniques.
• Ability to provide diagnostic assessments, implement treatment, rehabilitation and behavioural modification programs, as well as consultation experience for diagnosis treatment of patients/clients
• Experience completing psychotherapeutic assessment and treatment in patients with severe and persistent mental illness and co-morbid psychological/psychiatric conditions is also preferred
• Results oriented work ethic to work independently and undertake tasks needed to accomplish work objectives and deliver quality, consistent and timely results
• Demonstrated leadership, conflict resolution, interpersonal and organizational skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to adapt readily to change
• Models and promotes core ethical practice, Waypoint Values, and reflects an optimistic and positive attitude
• Preference for proficiency in French/English language skills
How do I apply?
Waypoint employees apply through the Employee Self-Service portal at https://employees.waypointcentre.ca and external applicants apply to www.waypointcentre.ca/careers by quoting Job ID WC16-110. Attach your cover letter and resume detailing why you are interested in this opportunity and how you meet the qualifications and key accountabilities specified. The Hiring Committee will continue to accept applications until the position is filled.
We are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible work environment, where all employees feel valued and respected. Waypoint offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities as part of our recruitment process. If you are contacted to arrange an interview, please advise us if you require an accommodation.
As a Catholic hospital, we are committed to providing excellence in specialized mental health and addictions services grounded in research and education and guided by faith-based values. As an inspired organization, we will change lives by leading the advancement and delivery of compassionate care.
Located 150 km from Toronto on the shores of Georgian Bay in historic Penetanguishene, Waypoint i...s a 301-bed hospital providing an extensive range of acute and longer-term psychiatric inpatient as well as outpatient services. Waypoint is proud to be affiliated with numerous colleges and universities, including its role as a University of Toronto teaching hospital and academic research centre. As the region's only specialty mental health hospital and the province's only maximum secure forensic hospital, you can realize your career goals within our innovative and transforming environment. The Midland/ Penetanguishene area boasts four-season lifestyle opportunities ranging from outdoor recreation to cultural activities, and combines a small town feel with easy access to many urban amenities.